Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Break Up - A Comedy

What?

Rahul you have been an hour late and you are asking what. I have been sitting here looking at all these people while the waiter comes every five minutes and asks me if I want something. Do you know how embarrassing it is?

But am I to be blamed for that, Mansi? You know how much work I have these days. Still I take out time and come to see you and it’s my fault if I become a little late due to this bloody traffic.

Do you think I don’t have work Rahul? But I take time out for you, for me. This is the time we should be thinking about ourselves, not about others.

Thats what I have been doing, Mansi. Thinking about me, about us. Things are not like a year back when I had no responsibility. Now I have been promoted. I need to think about my future. Like all, I have dreamt of a big house, a luxury car and a hefty salary. I have to work hard for that. It wont happen if we just declare our love in this restaurant every day.

Yes. I know you have to work hard for your future but don’t I come in your future, Rahul? Dont you want to spend some precious time with me?

Of course, I do Mansi. But I want you to be happy with me and thats why I am doing all this.Waiter...bring us a coffee and a chocolate-vanilla shake please.

No, make it two shakes and make it a little early. I have waited long enough.

Thats what I hate about you, Mansi. You trying to thrust your wishes upon me. You trying to dictate how I should live my life. Why do you get to decide what I want, Mansi. I absolutely hate that.

But, its just a simple coffee, Rahul. I thought a shake would really calm your hot mind and...

No, its not just a simple coffee, Mansi. Its my life. I hate to pamper you everyday, taking you to dinner one day and to the movies the other day. My friends sneer when you call four times a day to say I love you. Do you know what they call me, Mansi. They call me the ‘hen-pecked bastard’. Is that what I am?

But you had said that you don’t care about...

But I have changed, Mansi. I am not that starry-eyed teenager any more who thought that love was the only thing in life you need to live for. I now know success is more important than love. I want to be successful, Mansi. Real successful. And whenever I want to climb the mountain to reach the summit, you love kind of drags me down to the hell I had always been. I want to come out of this.

Say it straight, you bastard.  Say that you are now bored of your girlfriend of three years. You have fucked me many times and thats what you have always wanted to do. Isnt it? Thats what all guys want. You now think I will scream and cry that you want to leave me. No Mr. Hen-Pecked Bastard, I will say goodbye and go have a sound sleep and...

I know you love me very much, Mansi. But your love has kind of become a burden for me. I carry that burden wherever I go, whatever I do. I want to live my life free not under the weight of your love. I am sorry, Mansi.

But Rahul...please Rahul...we have made it through three years. We should just give it another try. I promise I wont bother you, I wont even call you Rahul please...

No Mansi, we will talk about this some other time and I promise it wont be soon.

Rahul, wait please...

Ma’am, your two chocolate-vanilla shakes.

Fuck you.

17 comments:

jai singh kshatri said...

abey sunil, where is the comedy man

it seems like u wrote it after listening from a side table of the resturant

skeptic saint said...

hi jai,

the comedy does nt always have to be obvious... sometimes we just laugh at reality...and thats what this is...


and abt writing it after listening it from a side table, well i didnt and i ll take that as a compliment...

Anonymous said...

:)

hen-pecked moron!

Success does that to men?

:) but a very nice narrative!

busy-writer said...

this made me go all :| now!! :|
GUYS, hmpf.

Debasish Patra said...

nice read.

:| no coments coz its scary re.

:|

Anonymous said...

Not that much of a comedy, although I loved it :)
It's SO real! It happens na, people change, circumstances change. God, life is so complicated!

Rabia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rabia said...

everything happened so fast .. =0

Unknown said...

I'm not sure why this is a comedy, but for one thing, I laughed at Rahul's separation of "Success" from "Love".

AG said...

well
i laughed after readin it
call me insane

'life is a comedy, unless u treat it as a tragedy' :P

Deepika said...

dat was quite a dark comedy full of wtf moments :)

nice blog!!

cheers!!

skeptic saint said...

hi veens,

yeah it seems success does that... :(

hi busy writer,

hmmm do you think the gal was perfectly right in what she did...

hi debasish,

scary...yeah maybe bcoz it may happen to anyone including you...

skeptic saint said...

hi ki,

probably you dont see it the way i see it... and thats why you cant *feel* the comedy hidden... its nt a laugh comedy maybe a smirk comedy... lol

and yeah change is the only thing thats permanent...

@ rabia

yeah i guess... thnx for visiting my blog...

hi alok,

i m nt sure abt that too... but i dunno why after reading what i had written, i just smiled...maybe at reality...

skeptic saint said...

@ aditi...

yeah that was wat i felt...nice quote...

@ deepika

thnx..:) keep visiting...

IncorrigibleV said...

hmm i guess it wasnt all that amusing for either rahul or mansi...
nice read though!

Shruti said...

just when success gets to a man's head...
its just another wtf moment...
:I

baddy said...

ow wat a nitmare......... 't was a nice read tho....
i don wanna b in rahul's shoes anytim in me lyf.........