Sunday, March 30, 2008

Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day (Fiction)
 
 
Tomorrow is Valentine's Day and I dont have a girlfriend. What a sucker I am!
"Sneha!"
"What?", my sister woke up from her afternoon reverie of watching tele soaps.
"You have to get a girlfriend for me. Tomorrow I have a party at Sahil's and I cant go there alone. Please do something ", I pleaded.
"What! You think I am a pimp or something. Okay I will see. I will call my friend. Probably she will agree. "
"By the way, what are your plans for tomorrow?", I asked.
"There are some lovely Valentine's Day special programmes on tv. Ofcourse I wouldnt miss them."
"Ofcourse you wouldnt. What better way to celebrate" I thought to myself but kept quiet.

                                                                        * * *
When the door bell rang, I hadnt anticipated it would be her. There she stood in a beautiful black dress. Had my sister told her that black was my favorite color? She was not conventionally beautiful but somehow I liked her at first sight. She had a cute round face with eyes that seemed to be sparkling. She wasnt exactly grinning but somehow her eyes showed she was smiling. The dark circles under her eyes made her look more beautiful.
I didnt realize that I was standing at the door and staring at her all this time till Sneha came in.
"Hey bro! This is Silpa. She will accompany you to the party."
I wish I hadnt shown my broad smile there.
When I went up to dress, I could hear some girlish chatter. Probably my sister giving her advice not to get too close with me.

    
I suggested walking to my friend's house. It was nearby and walking would give us the time to know each other better.  As we were walking, I could see the street dog looking down angrily at me as if thinking "Lucky bastard".

She told me that she was Sneha's classmate in college. After some coaxing, she also told about Sneha's crush on her English prof. This made for the recent interest my sister showed towards English.

Being not very good with girls at the initial talk, I realised I was getting along well with this one. I wanted to spend some more time with her.
"Do you really want to go the party" , I asked clearly indicating that I expected no for an answer.
"Actually I loathe such parties. I just came because Sneha insisted" , she said.
"Why not go to the cafeteria instead?"


The coffee house was decorated with red heart shaped balloons and mushy posters. Valentine's Day had caught up pretty fast in this small coastal town.

"So what do you think of Valentine's Day", I asked amused at all the decorations.
She smiled and said," I think Valentine's Day is nice in the sense that atleast it gives you a chance to show your love to someone in the mad and hectic lives we live these days. But I really wish everyday was a Valentine's Day in this love forsaken world."

I looked around and found couples everywhere. Holdind hands, looking into each others' eyes, making out, the place was filled with them.

"You call this world love forsaken?", I asked curiously.
"You think these couples sitting here really love each other? The guy would dump the girl if she gets a pimple and the girl would ditch him if he has no money left. Thats how deep their love is. Love has now become lets-spend-some-time-together rather than lets-make-it-forever."


I loved beaches and took her to my favorite spot. It was an asphalt curb far away from the crowd where you could sit and look at the beautiful sunset. The orange sun as if drowing into the sea was the most breathtaking view in the whole world.
"So why are you single this Valentine's?", I asked.
"The guy I loved said I was not worth him" , she said without a pause.
"What? ", I exclaimed thinking what a loser the guy was.
"He was one of those who think 'I love you' is just a step towards sleeping with someone. He said he wanted to have sex and I said no. I have my values and I would live up to them. He said I am old- fashioned and broke up. I have no regrets."
There was neither a tear in her eyes nor a crack in her voice, just naked pain staring at me as if her hate would engulf me,engulf this whole world.


We sat on the beach, the wind blowing her hair. Sometimes a strong wave coming would  wet our naked feet. The sun had drowned and there was just the glow of faraway streetlights. She was looking at some children playing while I was looking at her. She looked beautiful, angelic.
"Do you look at those urchins playing? They know how to live lives. Everyday they go back to their hell, working hard, taking beatings from their drunk fathers, they also know the dark life that awaits them. Still they come here everyday to play and laugh; for a little time forgetting who they are, what will happen next, they enjoy themselves. Isnt it wonderful? I want to be like them, Abhi. I want to forget all my worries and live my life happily, without a care."

"You certainly will, dear" , I said.

"No, Abhi. I cant. I am alone. I am so... alone. I want someone in my life. I am so ...so afraid to be happy. I am lost. I want someone to take me home. I..." Tears rolled down her cheeks as if all the strength which had blocked them till now collasped in an instance. She was crying like a child. 


Somewhere deep inside my heart, I could feel something I had never felt before. Emotions overwhelming my existence, my thinking, my own self. A tiny lump rose from my chest choking me. I wanted to say a thousand words but words didnt come to me. I wanted to hold her so tight that I would never lose her. Tears welling up my eyes too, I leaned forward and hugged her. All I could hear was the rushing waves and the lovely laughter of the children.l

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

yup buddy its gr8 one..i remebr reading it at d sinners blog...

Gunjan Aylawadi said...

i remembr dat post on her blog! was fab :)

AG said...

heyaa

this post was amazing,i had already commented on her blog after readin it

cheers
do write more of them
:)

IncorrigibleV said...

read this at neha's ... commented too :)

busy-writer said...

read the whole post there..wow, you're really an awesome writer. you write fab, truly..
extremely descriptive, totally witty, totally awesome flow, really good language..you have it all man!

:) darn good..keep lots of stuff like this comin..

blogrollin you! :D

busy-writer said...

and am already blogrolled, wow..thank you!

:) am goin on a readin and commentin spee on your blog now.. ;)